The Newbie Survival Guide

Go down 
AuthorMessage
naggle
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 129
Stile : Metal/Rock/Goth
Interests : Music, books, fantasy, forum, making my homepage..
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: The Newbie Survival Guide   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:02 am

Greetings to all, especially to the newest members of Krakyl Forum! We know that some of you are old pros when it comes to an online forum environment, and for some of you, Krakyl is your first experience with a forum.

Well, for those not quite in the know on how a forum works, we give you the Newbie Survival Guide! It's FAQ that every member needs to know. It'll cover the basic topics for general forum life. For details on how to survive on Krakyl specifically, check out the Rules at Krakyl Forum.
Login & Registration Issues

User Preferences & Settings

Posting Issues

The Do's And Do Not's Of Posting

Formatting & Topic Types

Private Messaging

If you have read everything and still have any questions, please feel free to PM me, the board administrator.

Last edited by on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.krakyl.com
naggle
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Newbie Survival Guide   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:15 am

Login & Registration Issues

Why can't I log in?
If you cannot login in to the boards ask yourself these questions:
    - Have I been banned? ((you would know if you have))
    - Have I registered?
    - Has my account been validated?

If you have been banned from the board you should contact the administrators and find out why if you truly do not know. Generally, you will be aware of the reason for banning before it occurs.

If you havenít registered, good luck logging in. In order to log in it is necessary that you are a registered member. To register you simply just need to sign up with your email address and some basic info and you are good to go!

NowÖif you have registered and you have not been banned it could be a simple problem such as your account has not been validated by the admin. Try to remember that the admin do get busy but we do try and validate accounts as soon as we possibly can. You should never have to wait more than a day for your account to be validated. If you do, simply contact the administrators and let them know to get on it!

If you have registered, and have not been banned, and have posted on the boards before and you can still not log in make sure you are using the right forum log in and password. If absolutely necessary you can contact the board admin and let them know that you forgot your password (if thatís the case) and that you need it to be reset. Usually this is the problem; if not, contact the board administrator -- they may have incorrect configuration settings for the board.

The board administrators' email is postmaster@krakyl.com

Why do I need to register at all?
If you donít want to register and you just want to be a hardcore lurker that is your call. There is one forum where unregisterd people can post, but only one place. Do you want full access to the forum, you have to register first. It only takes a few minutes to register so it is recommended you do so.

Why do I get logged off automatically?
If you do not check the Log Me in automatically box when you log in, the board will only keep you logged in for a preset time. This prevents misuse of your account by anyone else. To stay logged in, check the box during login. This is not recommended if you access the board from a shared computer, at such as a library, internet cafe, university cluster, etc.

How do I prevent my username from appearing in the online user listings?
When you're logging in, you will find an option Hide your online status; if you switch this on you'll only appear to board administrators or to yourself. You will be counted as an anonymous user.

I've lost my password!
I'm sorry. By losing your password, you've kick started the apocalypse. Please proceed to the nearest bomb shelter.
I'm just kidding! Don't panic! While your password cannot be retrieved it can be reset. To do this go to the login page and click I've forgotten my password. Follow the instructions and you should be back online in no time. If that doesn't work, just send an email to those nifty admins at postmaster@krakyl.com explaining you've lost your password (please make sure you tell us your username or nothing will get done) and they'll reset it for you.

I registered but cannot log in!
Email validation is required here at Krakyl. Once you've registered, an email is automatically sent to your email account. Mosie on over there and follow the instructions in the email to finish your registration process. if you did not receive the email then check that your email address is valid.

I registered in the past but cannot log in anymore!
The most likely reasons for this are: you entered an incorrect username or password (check the email you were first sent when you registered). If worst comes to worst, contact the forum admins: postmaster@krakyl.com.

Last edited by on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
naggle
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Newbie Survival Guide   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:22 am

User Preferences & Settings

How do I change my settings?
All your settings are stored in the database. To alter them click on Profile, then using the upper center navigation bar, and find the section you want to change.

The times are not correct!
The times are almost certainly correct; however, what you may be seeing are times displayed in a time zone different from the one you are in. If this is the case, you should change your profile setting for the time zone to match your particular area.

I changed the time zone and the time is still wrong!
If you are sure you have set the time zone correctly and the time is still different, the most likely answer is daylight savings time (or summer time as it is known in the UK and other places). Click or unclick on the Daylight Savings box in Board Settings (found in Profile). If the time is STILL funky, drop an PM to :Svaart (me) and let me know.

How do I show an image below my username?
There is an image below a username when viewing posts, known as an avatar; this is generally unique or personal to each user. You can either link an avatar from your own personal image host, or you can upload an image from your computer.

When I click the email link for a user it asks me to log in.
Sorry, but only registered users can send email to people via the built-in email form (if the admin has enabled this feature). This is to prevent malicious use of the email system by anonymous users.

naggle
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Newbie Survival Guide   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:37 am

Posting Issues

How do I post a topic in a forum?
Easy -- click the relevant button on either the forum or topic screens. You may need to register before you can post a message, unless it is in the Mistery-forum, where unregisterd people can post. The facilities available to you are listed at the bottom of the forum and topic screens (the You can post new topics, You can vote in polls, etc. list)

Where should I post my topic?
The Krakyl forums are split into different areas. If your topic is related to the you presenting yourself, then you'll want to check out the Introduction-forum. If it's about the a band you like, then it should go in Music. Random stuff can mostly be found in General Talk for serious talk, and Stuff and Nonsense for unserious talk, arts and crafts in Creations and so on. Make sure no one has already started a thread about the subject you want to post about! Just add on to the existing thread if there is one - please don't start your own.

How do I edit or delete a post?
Unless you are an administrator, a global mod, or a moderator, you can only edit your own posts. You can edit your post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post. Members cannot delete any posts. If you've find you've accidentally double posted, please PM the moderator for that particular forum, or one of the global mods or an admins, and ask them to delete the extra post for you.

How do I add a signature to my post?
To add a signature to a post you must first create one; this is done via your profile. Once you have created your signature you can set the options for your personal display of the board. You can choose whether or not you want signatures and avatars displayed. Keep in mind that this setting only affects the way YOU see the board, not everyone else.

How do I create a poll?
Creating a poll is easy -- look right next to the New Topic tag, and you'll see one for New Poll. Click that. If you cannot see this then you probably do not have rights to create polls. You should enter a title for the poll and then at least two options -- to set an option type in the poll question and click the Add option button. The board limit for the number of options you can have in a poll is 20.

How do I edit or delete a poll?
As with posts, polls can only be edited by the original poster, a moderator, or board administrator. To edit a poll, click the first post in the topic, which always has the poll associated with it. If no one has cast a vote then users can delete the poll or edit any poll option. However, if people have already placed votes only moderators or administrators can edit or delete it; this is to prevent people rigging polls by changing options mid-way through a poll.

Why does it say "Newbie" under my avatar?
At Krakyl, you are a "Newbie" at the beginning, and as you post more and more on the boards, it wil change. After a certain number of posts, your ranking will change. Here is how the rankings work:
0 posts = Ghost
1 post = n00b
30 posts =
100 posts =
300 posts =
600 posts =
1000 posts =
3000 posts =
6000 posts =
10000 posts =

*the ranking names will come soon!*

Last edited by on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
naggle
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Newbie Survival Guide   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:43 am

The Doís and Do Notís of Posting

DO ensure that your topic has not already been started recently. To do this, try shifting through the last couple days of posts. If you find your topic, but no one has posted in it in a couple of months, you can either revive the thread (always fun) or go ahead and start your own.
DO try to make your topic interesting in some way or another.
DO feel free to advertise your own writing and original works threads in your signature.
DO NOT advertise your webpage and/or blog anywhere outside of your profile or in the internet-forum. "Special deals" (free iPods, DVDs, etc) are not allowed to be advertised at all. Advertising outside of the appropriate threads will result in warnings from the mods or admin.
DO NOT start your thread with *laughs* HI persons I'M BORED!!!!
DO NOT post a thread that that says 'HEY GUZY IM CONFUZED?! WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!. If you have a question about something specific, you don't need to post a new thread- just PM a friend or a mod.
DO NOT post threads that say RATE MY AVTAR, or LOOK AT MY NEW SIG. That makes you an attention whore.
DO NOT spam the forums just to get to a 100 posts. Not only is it annoying, but you can be warned for it. Along the same lines...do not DDP (deliberately double post).

naggle
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Newbie Survival Guide   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:50 am

Formatting & Topic Types

What is BBCode?
BBCode is a special implementation of HTML. BBCode itself is similar in style to HTML: tags are enclosed in square braces [ and ] rather than < and > and it offers greater control over what and how something is displayed.

Can I use HTML?
Sorry! Not on Krakyl Forums! This is a safety feature to prevent people from abusing the board by using tags which may destroy the layout or cause other problems.

What are Smilies?
Smilies, or emoticons, are small graphical images which can be used to express some feeling using a short code, Smile means happy, Sad means sad. The full list of emoticons can be seen via the posting form. There is a limit on how many smilies you can use, and you'll know because the board won't let you post if you go over it.

Can I post Images
Images can indeed be shown in your posts. You have quite a few options...You can link to your image from other site like photobucket, or image shack http://www.some-unknown-place.net/my-picture.gif. Or you can upload images into your own personal gallery here on Krakyl. You can allsow link to pictures stored on your own PC.

Please, please, please do not post images that will stretch out the page. If you have ginormous pictures, just link to them and don't post the actual image.

What are Announcements?
Announcements are posted by the admins only, and they contain important information and you should read them as soon as possible. They appear at the top of every page in the forum to which they are posted.

What are Stickie topics?
Stickie topics appear below any announcements in view forum and only on the first page. They are often quite important so you should read them where possible. They usually include the rules for the area you're in, as well as other important threads. As with announcements the administrators or the mods for that area determine what is sticked and what is not.

What are Locked topics?
Locked topics are set this way by either the forum moderator or board administrator. You cannot reply to locked topics and any poll contained inside is automatically ended. Topics may be locked for many reasons.

naggle
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Newbie Survival Guide   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:54 am

Private Messaging

I cannot send any PMs!
There are three reasons for this; you are not registered and/or not logged on, the board administrator has disabled private messaging (PMs) for the entire board, or the board administrator has prevented you individually from sending PMs. If your posting privileges have been temporarily suspended by a moderator because you were being naughty, you won't be able to send PMs.

I keep getting unwanted PMs!
If you are getting unwanted PMs from a certain member, firstly, you may inform them nicely to stop. If you feel unsafe or uncomfortable with any PMs you get from people, forward the PMs to the nearest global moderator or administrator.

Can I PM people asking them to visit my site or read my writings?
NO! Bad, bad member if you do that! That's the same thing as advertising and you can be banned for it, if it continues!

I have received a spamming or abusive e-mail from someone on this board!
We are sorry to hear that. The e-mail form feature of this board includes safeguards to try to track users who send such posts. You should e-mail the board administrator with a full copy of the e-mail you received and it is very important this include the headers (these list details of the user that sent the e-mail). They can then take action.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Newbie Survival Guide   

Back to top Go down

The Newbie Survival Guide
Page 1 of 1